meet art wall artist: lisa golightly of kiki and polly

February 05, 2010

There's a certain familiarity I feel when I look at images from Kiki and Polly. I picture myself as a child, I see my sisters, my nieces and nephews, childhood friends and neighbors, my daughter. I'm instantly reminded of nearly-forgotten memories and transported to those long-lost places in my head. Lisa Golightly is the artist behind Kiki and Polly. She lives and works in Portland, Oregon where she creates mostly portrait art of children and families. I'm pleased to introduce Lisa to you in an interview here today:

(AW) Where did the name Kiki and Polly come from?
(LG) The name is inspired by my daughter and how she saw the world. The name Kiki was a bird (well any bird really) she saw in our yard. When my son came along, he too picked it up and called birds Kiki. Polly was her imaginary friend.

(AW)You have a very focused subject matter: children. I've heard several people tell me your pieces remind them of or resemble children or memories from their past. Does that "sentimental draw" come up when you chat with your customers?
(LG) I had someone call my work "anonymous nostalgia." I think that is definitely part of what draws people in, that this could be your memory, your mental snapshot of your own childhood.

(AW) Do you have a sweet story about how someone has given/used your work?
(LG) Some of my work was recently used as set dressing for the new Gus Van San movie, I'm dying to see if it shows up in the finished film.

(AW) What's your best piece of advice for artists just starting out in the real world?
(LG) The internet has really provided a lot of amazing and immediate opportunities for artists, I think. Take advantage of all of them and don't be afraid to put your work out there.

(AW) Any personal or business goals that you'd like to share for 2010?
(LG) I have a lot, but the most basic and really the biggest is to have my work keep growing.

(AW) What's a teeny tiny thing that makes you happy?
(LG) Right now, I'd have to say sunshine. In the Northwest, this time of year, it is not something you take for granted!


Lisa, so great to learn more about your work and inspiration. Lisa's "Girl in the Yellow Suit" is currently displayed on Art Wall's dining room wall. Her prints and a few originals are available through her Etsy shop. She also does commissioned portraits (examples directly above), and custom wallpaper art which are available through her general website.
signature

6 comments:

Jessica Nichols said...

I am a huge fan! What a treat this interview was for me. :)

vmichelle said...

Very unique style and look. I love it!

shauna said...

i love the simplicity.

Kaili Ittensohn said...

Wow, I love her style, and I'm so happy to have found your blog. I love art! I'm your latest blog follower.

Queenie Bee said...

Lovely style

Tina Crespo said...

lisa's pool prints spark a memory of swimming at the public pool every day for every summer for the first 13 years of my life.
it's a wonderful memory & feeling.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails