stenciling vs. wallpaper

January 31, 2011

I've been wanting to change up my dining room for a while now. I feel like I'm over the terra cotta color (I had it in my last house, and now this one for 3 years) but I hadn't really been able to come up with something better until I saw this episode of Pure Design on HGTV. Do you watch it? It's really the only design show on TV I like these days.
The images from the website were really small but I think you can see the overall feel of the room. It's wallpapered with this paper from Graham and Brown and the material on the chairs is either this or this from Robert Allen, a subtle ballet pink color. I love the metallic aspect of the wallpaper, but I'm not sure I could afford to buy and have the paper installed right now, so I'm considering getting the same effect with a stencil.


1) I really like this simple bamboo pattern, but with my drapes, I think it might be too much faux bamboo.
2) This could be pretty, I would probably use only one color vs. 2 for the flower and make it more tone-on-tone.
3) A really interesting geometric that would be much more subtle with a subtle metallic. Again, I think this might fight too much with the drapes.
4) Raindrops. This could work.
5) Zexy crocodile. A tone on tone metallic would look really sleek, not sure I could pull this off, I don't exactly live in a loft downtown.
6) Oh how I love a rattan/cane pattern. Too fighty with the drapes though I think.
Here's another neat example by Jesse from Good Girl Gone Glad. Jesse didn't use metallic paint, she just upped the sheen of the pattern by using a higher gloss paint. It turned out really beautiful.


So, what do you think? Would you spend the time on this (I'm sure it is very labor intensive) or splurge on the paper and installation?
signature

5 comments:

Jillian said...

I love Pure Design. Samantha and Sarah Richardson are the only "tv" designers I really relate to. I think I would try the stencil, but if I had the budget, I would definitely go for the wallpaper. I might do a stencil in our dining room, so I'll look forward to seeing what you do with yours.

Anonymous said...

I've been having the same question: paper vs. stencil. Looking to spruce up my entry-way and hallway with some pattern but having a hard time committing to paper after all the labor I saw my mom go through removing paper from our homes after the 80s. Like the skinny jean of today, I'm afraid paper will be on the outs just as we're getting into it. I may opt for the more time-intensive stencil on the front end to reduce the time-intensive removal (and Matt's fear of paper) on the back end. Good picks! I like the last one best. May use it myself. Katie Carlin Scherer

Wall Art said...

Budget must be considered in this kind of situation and options will be next if you manage your money properly. Go for a unique and quality design for you to add up a lot of beauty to your house.

jayson said...

reallly love this

Anonymous said...

I'll come help you with the work if you come and help me try it at my house in return!! lisa

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails