mounting artwork on wood

April 04, 2011

Today's post is about an inexpensive option for displaying artwork. Recently, I had a lot of pieces to hang all at once (for the kiddos rooms) so I needed an option that wasn't going to break the bank. I found these wooden painting panels at a local art shop on campus. Each of them was less than $10 which worked into my budget wonderfully considering I had 13 pieces to hang.



I considered glueing them with PVA/methyl cellulose so that I could have a little extra drying time to make sure my mounts were properly placed. Because of the possible wrinkle factor with glue, I decided to dry mount them using my Xyron (best tool ever!) and just made sure I had a steady hand and focused eye. It was a little scary knowing I couldn't correct my work at all but I actually didn't make any mistakes that were too noticeable. Most of the pieces were just a teeny bit larger than the boards so I shaved off any excess with an Xacto after I had finished each mount.

I like the way they are elevated from the wall, I think it makes them seem a little more special. This is a great hanging option for anyone who loves buying prints but doesn't love paying for framing, but still wants their pieces to look great.

First image: mounted piece is from Bucks County Frames.
Second image: artwork is broken down in this post.
signature

11 comments:

Jillian said...

That is a really great idea! I will definitely have to try it.

brittany said...

a nifty solution to an otherwise $200 custom frame-job! thanks for the ideas Katie.

Jennifer Squires Ross said...

Wonderful idea! And such a clean presentation!

emelex said...

which model xyron do you have? would you recommend for mounting photos?

Art Wall Katie said...

I have the 900, the one that fits an 8.5x11 piece of paper. I would recommend that one for the size.

Sarah said...

very cool. I love it ... especially the cost factor. I have so much artwork to hang that this might be a good solution for some of it! thanks Katie!

Art Wall Katie said...

Let me know if you want to borrow my Xyron, Sarah.

Jill said...

Katie: these are fantastic! What depth panel did you use? Thanks for sharing the product link. I looked at my local Dick Blick and they stocked a different brand, but only large sizes. Excited to try this out!

Art Wall Katie said...

Jill- I used 1" but I don't see that it would matter at all... If you like more depth.

Jill said...

Katie - thanks! I just placed my order for panels. I plan to adhere some photos printed by scrapbookpictures.com. I'm having them printed on deep matte paper. Can't wait to see the finished results - so thrifty, too :)

Roy D. Slater said...

Thanks for the post! My wife just loves putting artwork on wood. I must admit that it does look really nice. She's kind of a wall decor nut though. Thanks for the post, love the blog.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails