fan favorites: brittany K.

July 16, 2010

Happy Friday! I haven't posted this feature in a few weeks and have decided to bring it back bi-weekly. Is it bi-weekly or bi-monthly, I never know. Every two weeks, how's that? While I love putting them together, they do take a while to complete and I don't want to grow tired of them. That said, here's the first bi-weekly/monthly post, by the lovely Brittany, a local art student and my little helper. And by little, I mean she is about 4 inches taller than me...and she's super:
(AW) Hi Brittany! I'm glad you're joining us today. Each time I do this little interview I get to learn at least one new thing about the victim, and you're someone that I'm sure has more than a few fun facts up her sleeve. First off, what's your favorite piece from Art Wall?

(BK) That's a tough one. It's probably On Faith by Lisa Golightly of Kiki and Polly. I love the anonymity of the subject and the abyss around him. I love the way Lisa handles perspective, and how she gives her subjects a sort of lightness, as if floating in space.

(AW) I know, her pieces have a serious pull, no? So nostalgic. What is your favorite summer memory?
(BK) My parents live near a lake and small woods, so it was always fun to find baby rabbits, squirrels and raccoons. One time we also found some ducklings that had fallen through a sewer grate and had to scoop them out. My dad built a pen for them to nurse them back to health, and we ended up releasing them once they were old enough to take care of themselves. (Image: Stevepgh1959)

(AW) What is your favorite item in your home under $10?
(BK) I feel most at home when hiding inside a (rather oversized) acid-washed jean jacket that I found at Goodwill last fall. It's been the catalyst for quite a few strange conversations, and it's warm--perfect for downtown biking (Image: Revolve Clothing)

(AW) I'll bet that's a conversation piece. Are you even old enough to remember acid wash from the first time 'round? Perhaps you had an acid-washed onesie. Changing subjects: what's your favorite new item for summer?
(BK) I'd say the novel that I just checked out from the library: Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhoue Five. I've been working on East of Eden by John Steinbeck, among other reading, for close to two years now. I'm finally down to the last ten pages, but I want to savor them, and I keep waiting for the perfect time to end the novel. In the meantime, I've begun reading Vonnegut again and am ready for a change. (Image: Amazon.com)

(AW) I'm the same way with savoring the last pages of a book. So bittersweet. Speaking of savoring, what is your favorite place to be in the world?
(BK) At this point, sitting across from an interesting person, be it a family member, friend or stranger and having good conversation about anything at all.

(AW) A simple pleasure. you are sure to be happy in life with that at the top of your list. Thank you so so much, Brittany. You're a star.

signature

4 comments:

brittany said...

aw, thanks for the interview katie :)

Laura said...

great interview!
I love the questions " What's your favorite place in the world to be?"

Mine would be at a fair ground eating candy floss with muffles screams of fear & excitiment in the background.

Where is yours?

Art Wall Katie said...

Brittany- it was my pleasure. Laura, I think it would have to be at an outdoor cafe in downtown Santa Barbara in the late summer/early fall with my husband.

Unknown said...

Brittany-
we enjoyed reading your interview and your memories of the baby ducklings.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails