inspired design: bleed effect

August 04, 2010

I've been itching to paint something lately and although I really need to give my kitchen and dining nook walls a proper 2nd coat, what I really want to paint is something a little more fun, like my 2nd floor linen closet.

I really like the bleed-effect of this star on the door of Fleet's Landing Restaurant in Charleston, South Carolina. I took this photograph for inspiration about 5 years ago during vacation and it popped into my mind recently when I considered the hall closet. The whole restaurant has a very cool updated-nautical vibe and is well-known for the wall of life-preservers. Life preservers as decor? Sounds weird, looks good--trust me.

I'm thinking I might reverse the color-scheme to dark on light because the closet is in a poorly-lit hallway and could use some brightening-up. The motif could also work on a dresser I have which is already painted white. Maybe I'll just start painting partial stars all over my walls and furniture and see what works. Stars, stars, everywhere!

signature

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Really like this, but I love star motifs (as you know) -- modern and timeless at the same time. fun too!

Linz said...

man, i never go that bold in my decor, but i need to be fearless too! what a great idea!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails