the updated nursery

March 27, 2011

I just realized last night that a post I wrote last Monday about taking a blogging break to nest-up was never published, further proving the point that I needed to take said break. A friend of mine that was due to have her baby the day after me gave birth a week ago, which really made me feel like it was time to knock some things off my list while I still could. It was a good week.


I didn't really have to change that much in the nursery, all the bigger items stayed. It was fun to dress these shelves for a boy using stuff we had around the house already. That baseball mitt, I thought was my husband's, but he informed me it was from the 1940's or something like that and he couldn't remember how or when he got it. The chalk board belonged to his mom (it was a double hinged one that was falling apart.) You might notice it says "T" but don't start guessing yet, we really don't have a name picked out.


The tricycle photograph is by Sweet Eventide. It's in an Ikea Ribba frame, with a professional mat. The little bookshelves (inspired by this post) are Bevkam spice racks ($3.99 each) from Ikea. I used two here, one on the side of the glider and one on the changing table to house creams and wipes and such.


The bunting was left over from when this was my girl's nursery. I had to flip the pink/girly fabrics that were showing so that the assortment was more boyish. Ryan still thinks there's too many flowers on it but oh well. My mom helped me make the shades out of some sheets we were using in the former guest room. They're the "Max" pattern from Serena and Lily. She made the crib skirt out of the same material.


It's a bit hard to see the mobile in any of these photos, here's a closer shot. The wooden nursery rhyme-themed pieces were part of my baby mobile from the '70's. I updated it with a new, more modern mobile base.


The egg lamp was my biggest purchase for the room. It's more of a nightlight and casts a dreamy glow over the room at night.


The spice rack again, attached to the changing table.


I used a lot of art in the room from the Art Wall website. This little assortment features the other half of my MIL's chalk board, dressed with one of the nursery rhyme mobile parts and Shanna Murray's words. Next to that is an original by Papersparrow. There are two prints in the nursery by Gretchenmist. The photo is a limited edition metallic print by Jen Zahigian of Roadside Photographs. I made the embroidery piece with a sample Hable fabric.


The second Gretchenmist print connects the two little art clusters nicely. The "Small Mighty" photograph is the second Sweet Eventide piece in the room. The tree stump piece is a Gocco print by The Littlest Flower. The banana pinewood derby was made by my husband as a kid. I'm not sure who took the photo, someone with a nice lens (thank you.) The second embroidery piece/clock was also made by me. Most of the artwork was mounted using a Xyron onto wood painting panels, an easy and inexpensive option for framing. Tutorial to follow.

signature

8 comments:

Silvana said...

Katie, you did such a wonderful job on your little man's nursery. I love every detail. Thanks for sharing - picked up a few ideas I hope to incorporate into my little dude's nursery (I have a lot more work to do!). Hope your home stretch to delivery day is as comfortable as can be.

Unknown said...

Your boy's nursery looks great! Can't wait for his arrival :)

Claire said...

It looks beautiful! I especially love the illustrations. What a lucky baby :)

Unknown said...

Simply Gorgeous!

So glad I came across your beautiful blog. I am a new follower.

Zee said...

I love it! It's so beautiful. I love these wall decorations and all the colors of the furniture!

belinda marshall said...

it looks so great! love the colours and the bunting. honored to have some work in such an important room :) {thankyou}.
enjoy the lead up to the birth xx

Laura Di Francesco said...

Adorable, adorable and still adorable <3

Rachael Alsbury said...

I love the way you hung the scalloped bunting from the ceiling! Being pinned to my nursery board!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails